Shovel Dot Ranch
Bassett, Nebraska, Rock County
Nestled in the Sandhills of Nebraska, the Shovel Dot Ranch is rich with green grass and fresh ground water from the Ogallala Aquifer. Learn more about how the Buell family protects the natural environment through rotational grazing and land management, while producing high quality protein – beef – in this video! Then, participate in an activity to learn more about the basic needs of a beef cow.
Looking for resources? Login to view more.
Harvest of the Month: Beef
Download to print the sloppy joe recipe as well as complete a get to know a few beef and dairy breeds.
Sloppy Joes on a Roll
GET TO KNOW A FEW BEEF AND DAIRY BREEDS
In Nebraska, agriculture is the state’s top industry. Cattle production is the
largest part of the industry. Cattle outnumber humans nearly 4 to 1 here!
We get meat from beef cows and milk products from dairy cows. Although
females from all cattle breeds produce milk and meat, some cattle are better
at giving milk, and some are better at providing meat.
Dairy cows usually have very large udders. For that reason their basic shapes
are different from beef cows. The basic shape of a beef cow is a rectangle.
The basic shape of a dairy cow is a trapezoid.
Dairy cattle must be milked every day, so they usually stay close to the dairy
barn. Beef cattle do not have to stay so close to home and are sometimes
moved around from pasture to pasture. Sometimes the fields are many miles
away from the farm. For that reason the cattle you see in fields along the side
of the road are more likely to be beef cattle.
1. Brown ground beef. Drain.
2. Cook lentils in enough water to cover them. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Drain excess water. Puree lentils in a food processor.
3. Add onions and minced garlic to ground beef. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in pureed lentils. Add tomato paste, catsup, water, vinegar, dry mustard, pepper, green chilies, and brown sugar. Mix well and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Heat to 155°F
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- ¼ cup onions, raw, chopped
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup brown lentils, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp catsup
- 2 oz mild green chili peppers, canned
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp water drained
- 1 Tbsp distilled vinegar
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 6 wheat rolls
Send us feedback on this and other locations.